Wednesday, April 25, 2007

WhiteyVille....Little Jewtown....

Does anyone else find it weird when they drive by signs that say "little india" or "chinatown", or "thai town"...or do you just accept this as a title of an area?

Because i kinda think it's pretty racist. I myself, am for sure racist in some ways. It's not called "yogaBITCH" for nuthin'.

It seems like we name stuff for the people who will "take it" passively. I mean, HARLEM is not called "little africa" and My neighborhood is not referred to as "JewTown" (cuz it should be. It is in fact MASSIVELY populated with hasidic jews and temples)
I just find it interesting that we are willing to call certain areas by their inhabitants, and yet it's only for some groups who don't fight it.

I mean seriously, could you imagine if we called COMPTON "blacktown?" There would be an uproar, marches on washington, etc...

Just what I was thinking today when I drove through Korea Town.

3 comments:

Joe said...

ah so! you SO racial.

Anonymous said...

don't know where you get this attitude!!!

mcdive said...

Just so you know, there is actually a city in Western Sydney, Australia called 'Blacktown'. It was named that long before the recent influx of Sudanese immigrants though.